Sunday, June 6, 2010

Conscious Thought of The Day- The Hate That Hate Produced

Oringinally, The Hate That Hate Produced was an interview that Mike Wallace had with Malcolm X to discuss his political and social views as a member of the Nation Of Islam. However this is not what I want to discuss. The hate that I am referring to is the learned behavior that we have adopted when dealing with us. Now, I don't promote hate and I know some say that we should hate those who oppressed our ancestors, because if anybody was deserving of being hated it would be them. No, I'm talking about that same hate our ancestors and those that came after (us) had those same oppressors have now turned that same hate inward thereby making ourselves the object.

When we speak about culture there are a couple of the things that must be in place for it to continue. One, understand the history (trials, struggles and triumphs) that brought it about so it can be taught. Two, the tradtions, teaching and spiritual rituals must be learned so that they can be passed down to those within the culture. Through lack of awareness and miseducation we have perpetuated this behavior of mistrust, mistreatment of each other and the incidents that come from that are reaching epidemic proportions. Hate is a progressive and sometimes fatal disease that not only effects the individual, but the object as well. We talk about the spiritual principles to fight against hate awareness, knowledge and love but most of us don't even acknowledge this malady this is destroying us one person at a time.

I've often said "How can self hatred which is psychologically and culturally unnatural become sociologically accepted?" What's worse is the mysoginistic and often physicall abuse of our women at the very hands of the  one who has sworn to protect is only getting worse. It's common knowledge that the psychological effects of slavery have been passed down to us has contributed greatly, however if both men and women continue to willingl participate in this behavior the black family or what's lieft of it will disinergrate altogether.

My question is how can a people who need each other now more than ever still allow religion, sexual identity, money, property and prestige divert us from comng together? I don't know all the answers but I know that if we continue in this vein we may not have to worry about it. What are you prepared to do?

1 comment:

  1. I have come this far in your blog, and I have to admit I'm reading my own thoughts on here. But this post blew me away. I had a 2 hour discussion on this specific topic (but unrelated to the black family, more in general) just yesterday with a few of my girls.
    Our conclusion: attaining a purified heart. And very few have been able to break all barriers and reach that point, where the self becomes pure and is thus brave enough to accept all of humanity as a brotherhood without any materialistic, monetary, or self interest gains. It's the only way men can be protectors without any ulterior motives.
    If people just focus on what is important in life, and not get side tracked by the so called "good life", which is based on false promises and temporary pleasures, I personally believe the veil will be lifted.
    Young men and women grow up in a society where the media is their only guide on 'how to be successful', what they see is what they want. Unfortunately not one popular program focuses on how to attain success within ones self, it's all about status and other such things that are 'visible'. Our society's golden rule is the epitome of 'keeping up with the Joneses' nothing less and nothing more.

    Ok I know this is very long. But your post excited me =)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete